The ripple effect of a digital HR solution
Sasol is an international chemicals and energy company operating in 32 countries worldwide. They have a number of coal operating units and upstream interests in oil and gas exploration in South Africa, with 16,000 frontline workers across their various business units.
When we first approached Sasol’s HR teams with an employee engagement solution in mind, some of the challenges they were facing included:
- Manual, paper-based HR processes
- High call volumes in HR contact centre
- No access to ESS (HR tool) for non-desk workers
- No inclusive digital communication strategy
- Fragmented affiliation to the Sasol culture
Key success factorsThey needed a solution that would enable them to:
A customised solution
Within 6 weeks we launched Sasol’s mobile platform, INTOUCH, to a pilot audience of 2,000 employees at the Impumelelo and Middlebuilt mines. Through secure API integration with SAP, we enhanced their HR processes by digitising payslips, and leave applications and approvals. This enabled users to have much greater control over their remuneration as they were now able to check the accuracy of their timesheet, raise any discrepancies and have these resolved before payment was made. This meant employees no longer had to wait an entire month for corrections to be processed and payment reflected.
Onboarding for success
A well thought out launch plan including onsite activations giving users hands on assistance to register and become familiar with the solution was the winning formula for driving registrations. Branded collateral and a simple user guide was created with step by step walkthroughs to make it easy for employees to understand the benefits and how to download, register, navigate and use INTOUCH.
- Sasol concluded the pilot within 5 weeks from initiation, and achieved an uptake of 81% user adoption within the pilot audience (smashing their target of 60% in 3 months).
The overall sentiment towards Sasol INTOUCH has been very positive, and the analytics indicate that each user accesses the platform an average of 17 times a month.
- When surveyed, a large portion of the participant group were very open to the new technology and no longer receiving printed payslips.
- Other business units have expressed keen interest in adopting the INTOUCH mobile community and Sasol are already looking at additional modules of the Wyzetalk solution that can be introduced to further optimise their business processes.
The Sasol Case Study won Wyzetalk the esteemed title of Agency / Vendor of the Year at the 2019 All-Africa Employee Engagement Awards.