How to Guage Employee Engagement Metrics
Best-in-class organisations, with frontline workforces, are increasingly adopting employee engagement metrics to evaluate and enhance the impact of their employee engagement activities. For these companies, linking engagement initiatives to business goals has assisted in defining appropriate metric frameworks.
What Employee Engagement Metrics to Measure?
Employee engagement is the degree to which employees have a strong emotional attachment to a company. Employee engagement metrics assess how engaged your staff are, either indirectly or directly.
The following are generally regarded as essential engagement metrics:
- Employee satisfaction
- Voluntary employee turnover rate
- Employee retention rate
- Absenteeism rate
- Employee net promoter score
- Employer industry rankings
- Employee performance
- Customer satisfaction scores
These metrics can help define key performance indicators, providing predictors of overall company performance.
- Employee engagement is difficult to measure because it is a combination of motivation, happiness, contentment, and commitment, which are difficult to quantify. Specific considerations when using metrics are:
Employee Communication Vehicles
- Unidimensional employee communication approaches via newsletters, intranets and pamphlets inhibit employee feedback.
- In part an employee communication issue, it also speaks to organisational culture. Metrics only produce meaningful results when company leaders are open to feedback.
- Frontline workers are far removed from desktop computers and exposed to the limited reach of analogue communication mediums
- Performance indicator development and measuring exercises require broad business participation.
Companies seeking performance and competitiveness improvements need to select key indicators aligned to their overall business objectives.
Getting Employee Engagement Metrics Right
World-class employee engagement solutions build mutually beneficial connections with employees that promote engagement and produce tangible results. There is no ‘one size fits all’ approach to gathering employee engagement indicators. At Wyzetalk our digital employee engagement tools are flexible and allow companies to do the following:
- Establish communication channels – a mobile app (functional on feature phones) opens up multichannel employee communication, facilitating two-way communication with specific audiences, be it particular business units, geographies, work groups or levels.
- Assessing employee experience – mobile solutions enable you to quickly and easily connect with employees and collect different types of employee data via surveys and questionnaires. You can view real-time survey results, use our analytic dashboards to surface key trends and consider a range of corrective actions.
- Two-way communication – providing a mechanism for two-way communication makes employees feel heard and valued. But, more than that, it enables employees to provide feedback directly to their managers, and the organisation. Frontline employees, who are the boots on the ground, also have valuable insights and ideas that can be shared using this two-way feedback channel.
- Focus on productivity – if companies want to increase their performance and competitiveness, aligning business and individual goals is critical. Production dashboards and schedule management tools empower managers and employees to monitor performance in relation to company goals and their own objectives.
There is no single indicator for quantifying employee engagement metrics that can tell you everything you need to know. Digital employee engagement solutions allow companies to easily measure a range of key performance indicators amongst their employees to determine if their employee engagement initiatives and overall business objectives are aligned.
Talk to one of our experts today to find out how you can improve your employee engagement.